We've put together a pdf brochure to celebrate the unveiling of our Civic Trust Plaque which occured on Thurs November 17th.. Click here to download.
Over 100 attendees gathered round as the plaque was unveiled by The Worshipful Lord Mayor of Leeds - the Councillor Reverend Alan Taylor.
The attendees included representatives from Leeds Corinthians RUFC whose club was borne from the Leeds Salem Rugby Club.
aql's MD, Dr Adam Beaumont talked about the past uses of the Church and past ministers, including the work of the Reverend Harry Guntrip whose important work in understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) included holding mass counselling sessions in the great hall at Salem. Simon Buckden a PTSD sufferer also spoke about his plight to raise awareness of the disorder by running 100 marathons in 100 weeks.
Photos of the event can be found here
We're often asked about the history of our office building, the Salem Chapel, which is one of the first landmarks as you approach Leeds Bridge and Leeds city centre.
The original chapel dates back to 1791, with schoolrooms being added some 60 years later and an additional 'wing' in 1908. The additional wing was known as 'Charlton House' after the Reverend Norman Charlton. Neil Charlton, the son of Norman was also present at the unveiling and spoke about his memories of Salem.
The full story is a piece of Leeds history - Leeds United football club was formed at the Chapel in 1919.