Credit Controller – Contract
Our mission is to power a connected society by providing high quality solutions that enable communications between cities, communities, people and businesses.
A career at aql will place you at the heart of an industry-leading trusted communications provider empowering people across the world.
We’re a group of techies, creatives and everything in between who innovate and break things. In other words, we try to do what other companies don’t (to find out more visit our blog).
aql is a trusted communications provider specialising in secure and reliable wholesale access to fixed and mobile networks for government, enterprise and innovators. We are responsible for voice services and numbering for approximately 90 million numbers for over 20 UK ISPs, route over 1 million SMS text messages per day and enable over 40 UK MVNO brands. We also own and operate a significant national data network and secure datacentre sites within the UK.
aql is a global company with our heart firmly beating from the centre of Leeds. We’re always looking for talented people to join the team, no matter where they are located.
We want you to be excited about working for a fast paced and ambitious company, one that is truly making a difference. Otherwise, what’s the point?
- Collaboration: Above all, we believe in and succeed through collaboration. It’s at the heart of who we are. We support each other and our customers in order to succeed.
- Innovation: We strive to accelerate progress by taking an imaginative and original approach to all we do.
- Empowerment: We design systems to enable customers to implement technology without the heavy lifting.
- Knowledge: With collaboration comes a sharing of knowledge. We are always learning, growing and evolving in order to continue to deliver the best possible service for our customers. As one of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside leading experts in their field, with a wealth of experience to share.
- Trust: We have a culture of transparency, communication and respect, ensuring our relationships with employees, teams and customer partnerships are built on trust and integrity. We embrace change, diversity and the opinions and ideas of others.
- Impact: Not only are we driven to innovate, but we are mindful of doing this in a way which gives back to our planet and environment. From protecting ancient woodland to designing heat-sharing schemes for our datacentres – we believe in ‘tech for good’.
Job role, duties & responsibilities:
As aql’s Credit Controller – Contract you will support the Finance Team in delivering a smooth and efficient Accounts Receivable process for (aq) Limited and related entities, as required. The role should enhance the ability for the Finance Manager / senior team members to deliver the information to the senior leadership team and Board on a timely and accurate basis. This position is pivotal in ensuring that debtors pay in a timely manner and receipts are allocated correctly and efficiently.
The Credit Controller – Contract will report directly to aql’s Finance Manager.
- Taking a proactive role in managing and collecting outstanding debt from a high volume of customers
- Ensure that all cash allocations are processed accurately and in a timely manner ensuring unallocated cash is kept to a minimum
- Banking customer cheques
- Weekly Aged Debt reporting and analysis
- Resolving customer queries in an efficient manner, working closely with the Account Management and Support team
- Raising credit notes subject to relevant approvals
- Raising manual billing, as required
- Evaluating credit requests for potential customers providing relevant commentary for final approval by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Monitoring the credit limit and payment patterns of existing customers
- Month end bank receipts posting and reconciliation
- Streamlining and documenting current credit control processes
- Dealing with internal and external finance queries
- Assisting with audit queries
- Intercompany recharges
- Ad hoc bookkeeping and posting journals using Sage Line 50 and Xero
- Support of any revenue assurance programmes
- Assistance with preparation of information to support management accounting, as required
- Ad-hoc support of the Accounts Payable team may be required during busy periods, holidays or sickness
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
Ideally, you will have experience of two or more years working in a Credit Control team and have an understanding of all aspects of the Accounts Receivable and Credit Control function activity to facilitate the co-ordination of the accounts receivable function for the business, with the support of the Finance Manager. Initial training will be given in the department as required, to introduce the candidate to the business and provide an overview of internal and bespoke systems.
Personal skills and characteristics:
- Have outstanding attention to detail with an ability to reconcile complex accounts
- Will be accurate, efficient and organised with the ability to prioritise tasks as needed
- Will be able to work well as part of a team
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel (including basic formatting skills, vlookup’s and pivot tables)
- Will remain professional, confident and diplomatic when liaising with others
- Can maintain strong relationships with external clients and internal colleagues
- Will be adaptable to change
- Have the desire to progress within a finance department
- Have previous finance experience (preferred)
Whilst a finance qualification would be an advantage it is not critical to the role.
- Remote working
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Historical and inspiring head office in Central Leeds
- Annual travel pass if needed