Linux Systems Administrator
Our mission is to power a connected society by providing high quality solutions that enable communications between cities, communities, people and businesses.
We’re the engine behind many global brands and have been a trusted hidden partner for tens of thousands of businesses from startups to scale-ups.
We handle millions of text messages a day, millions of voice minutes, hundreds of thousands of remote connected devices. We also are the enablers behind the first significant Northern internet infrastructure, handling many hundreds of Terabits of capacity.
A common thread running through all of our products and services, particularly so during this pandemic, is that we’re enabling smart companies to get to market quicker with innovative services to help every sector work better.
We are looking for a Systems Administrator who can help plan the future growth and expansion of our computer network. The Systems Administrator will be responsible for maintaining aql and BlueWave’s current systems infrastructure and keeping our engineering and support staff updated on the latest tools and processes (part of ISO 27001 framework).
The ideal candidate for this position will have extensive experience in supporting dedicated servers running Debian/Redhat LAMP stacks. They will also have experience in supporting virtualisation technologies such as Linux KVM, VMWare or Nutanix and be well-versed in Linux troubleshooting network related issues.
The Systems Administrator will have knowledge of automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, SaltStack (one is sufficient). The role also involves providing support to a very busy projects Systems roadmap and BAU/escalation tasks generated by other team members. All work will be delivered with an automated first approach.
The successful candidate will be:
- A self-starter who is eager to learn and improve things.
- Technically competent with the ability to communicate complex ideas.
- An experienced engineer who enjoys adapting to requirements and solving problems.
- Capable of standing alone but also willing and able to collaborate as a team.
- Passionate about delivering high quality work internally and for aql customers.
- Driven by making a difference, rather than working with bleeding edge technology.
- Strictly following, already set out and future internal ISO 27001 compliant processes.
- Up for a challenge!
The successful candidate will also be able (but not limited) to:
- Provide technical knowledge and guidance to other tech team members from your experience and continued learning.
- Aid process of performing the BAU code deployments.
- Increase understanding, documentation, streamlining and automation of development deployment activities.
- Support internal change process for delivering work into production installations.
- Assist with the provision of Test/Staging environments that match production installations (physical or virtual).
- Create strong documentation to accompany your work with the aim being that you can pass on streamlined BAU activities while concentrating efforts into continuous improvement and project work.
- Participate in cross-departmental projects to help manage these from initialisation through to completion.
Systems Administrator qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of 3+ years successful LAMP troubleshooting experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years of virtualisation (KVM, Vm-Ware, Nutanix) support
- Must have good understanding of network OSI L3 communications.
- Must be able to complete projects with minimal supervision (bring in functional ideas and constructive feedback to discover challenges and problems).
- Proven experience in managing complex Linux network problems (ideally with some IPv6 experience).
- Must have experience in managing server storage configuration.
- Ideal candidate should also have Linux LPI/LPIC and/or Linux CompTIA accreditation (or equivalent)
- Strong safety record and history of establishing safe work practices.
Other information about the role:
- Home working is available for this role beyond the COVID-19 pandemic though you would be expected to visit the office and datacentre regularly.
- On-call responsibilities are shared amongst the systems team so you will be expected to assist with this (rotating on a weekly basis).
- Valid Full UK Driving Licence would be preferred as some site travelling might be required.
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Historical and inspiring head office in Central Leeds
- Annual travel pass if needed
This page is copyright © aql and not to be reproduced in whole or part