Our mission is to power a connected society by providing high quality solutions that enable communications between cities, communities, people and businesses.
We’re the engine behind many global brands and have been a trusted hidden partner for tens of thousands of businesses from startups to scale-ups.
We handle millions of text messages a day, millions of voice minutes, hundreds of thousands of remote connected devices. We also are the enablers behind the first significant Northern internet infrastructure, handling many hundreds of Terabits of capacity.
A common thread running through all of our products and services, particularly so during this pandemic, is that we’re enabling smart companies to get to market quicker with innovative services to help every sector work better.
We are looking for a Network Engineer who can help plan the future growth and expansion of our computer network. The Network Engineer will be responsible for maintaining our current systems infrastructure and keeping our Engineering and Support staff updated on the latest tools and processes (part of ISO 27001 framework).
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Extensive experience in supporting switching and routing as well as supporting security appliances (ideally with L7 inspection capabilities).
- Experience in supporting Interior and exterior routing protocols such as OSPF, EIGRP, iBGP, eBGP, is well-versed in redundant networking protocols such as VRRP and/or HSRP.
- A working knowledge of network architectures such as MPLS, VPLS and pseudowire (“Martini” or EoIP).
- Familiarity with a wide variety of network hardware vendors.
The role also involves providing support to a very busy projects Network roadmap and BAU/escalation tasks generated by other team members. This includes greenfield installations, expansion of aql’s network, and consultation projects for customers to expand their own networks. All work will be delivered with an automated first approach.
The successful candidate will also be:
- A self-starter who is eager to learn and improve things.
- Technically competent with the ability to communicate complex ideas.
- An experienced engineer who enjoys adapting to requirements and solving problems.
- Capable of standing alone but also willing and able to collaborate as a team.
- Passionate about delivering high quality work internally and for AQL customers.
- Driven by making a difference, rather than working with bleeding edge technology.
- Strictly following predefined and future internal ISO 27001 compliant processes.
- Up for a challenge!
The successful candidate will also be able (but not limited) to:
- Provide technical knowledge and guidance to other Tech team members from your experience and continued learning.
- Aid process of performing the BAU tasks.
- Support our internal change process for delivering work into production installations.
- Increase understanding, create and improve existing documentation.
- Create strong documentation to accompany your work. The aim being that you can pass on streamlined BAU activities while concentrating efforts into continuous improvement and project work.
- Participate in cross-departmental projects to help manage these from initialisation through to completion.
- Contribute to the refinement and development of processes and procedures.
Network Engineer qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of 2+ years successful LAN and WAN networks support and troubleshooting.
- Minimum of 1+ years of supporting VPLS and MPLS network architectures.
- Must have working knowledge of interior and exterior routing protocols (example: OSPF, iBGP, eBGP).
- Must have working knowledge of redundancy network protocols (example: VRRP, HSRP).
- Must have experience in packet captures and analysis.
- Must have good understanding of network OSI model.
- Must be able to complete projects with minimal supervision (bring in functional ideas and constructive feedback to discover challenges and problems).
- Proven experience in managing complex network topologies.
- Must have experience in managing security appliances such as firewalls (example: Cisco, Fortigate, palo-alto).
- Should have experience in supporting network Load-balancing appliances (example: F5, Kemp, A10 etc).
- Should have valid CCNA/CCNP route + switch accreditation (or equivalent certification or experience).
- Strong safety record and history of establishing safe work practices.
Other information about the role:
- Home working is available for this role beyond the COVID-19 pandemic though you would be expected to visit the office and datacentre regularly.
- On-call responsibilities are shared amongst the Networks team so you will be expected to assist with this (rotating on a weekly basis).
- Valid Full UK Driving Licence would be preferred as some site travelling might be required.
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Historical and inspiring head office in Central Leeds
- Annual travel pass if needed
This page is copyright © aql and not to be reproduced in whole or part