Technical Operations Engineer
Our mission is to power a connected society by providing high quality solutions that enable communications between cities, communities, people and businesses.
A career at aql will place you at the heart of an industry-leading trusted communications provider empowering people across the world.
We’re a group of techies, creatives and everything in between who innovate and break things. In other words, we try to do what other companies don’t (to find out more visit our blog).
aql is a trusted communications provider specialising in secure and reliable wholesale access to fixed and mobile networks for government, enterprise and innovators. We are responsible for voice services and numbering for approximately 90 million numbers for over 20 UK ISPs, route over 1 million SMS text messages per day and enable over 40 UK MVNO brands. We also own and operate a significant national data network and secure datacentre sites within the UK.
aql is a global company with our heart firmly beating from the centre of Leeds. We’re always looking for talented people to join the team, no matter where they are located.
We want you to be excited about working for a fast paced and ambitious company, one that is truly making a difference. Otherwise, what’s the point?
- Collaboration: Above all, we believe in and succeed through collaboration. It’s at the heart of who we are. We support each other and our customers in order to succeed.
- Innovation: We strive to accelerate progress by taking an imaginative and original approach to all we do.
- Empowerment: We design systems to enable customers to implement technology without the heavy lifting.
- Knowledge: With collaboration comes a sharing of knowledge. We are always learning, growing and evolving in order to continue to deliver the best possible service for our customers. As one of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside leading experts in their field, with a wealth of experience to share.
- Trust: We have a culture of transparency, communication and respect, ensuring our relationships with employees, teams and customer partnerships are built on trust and integrity. We embrace change, diversity and the opinions and ideas of others.
- Impact: Not only are we driven to innovate, but we are mindful of doing this in a way which gives back to our planet and environment. From protecting ancient woodland to designing heat-sharing schemes for our datacentres – we believe in ‘tech for good’.
Job role, duties & responsibilities:
We provide services to many UK telecommunications operators and to thousands of other organisations, such as retail and government.
As a Technical Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for installation and maintenance of customer connections. You will also work on internal setups and projects. Other duties include systems maintenance (Including Linux and Windows), dealing with customer escalations and data centre network provisioning..
You will be asked to take part in an on-call rota providing 24/7 support, and interacting with our customers, suppliers, contractors, senior management and directors; therefore excellent communication skills, and the ability to work to deadlines with flexible hours are essential.
Our customers trust us with their sensitive data: You must be able to pass the UK Government Security Vetting.
Essential skills, knowledge and/or experience:
We are looking for someone with a true passion for technology, who enjoys putting the customer first and is constantly looking to improve and innovate.
- Experience in Linux System administration – experience in Windows is also desirable.
- Knowledge of computer networking
- Effective problem solver
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work both in a team and on own initiative
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to write and present documentation of projects and systems.
- Remote working
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Historical and inspiring head office in Central Leeds
- Annual travel pass if needed