Senior Software Engineer
At aql, we believe a connected society is a better society. Our mission is to power a connected society by providing high quality solutions that enable communications between cities, communities, people and businesses.
A career at aql will place you at the heart of an industry-leading trusted communications provider empowering people across the world.
We’re a group of techies, creatives and everything in between who innovate and break things. In other words, we try to do what other companies don’t (to find out more visit our blog).
aql is a trusted communications provider specialising in secure and reliable wholesale access to fixed and mobile networks for government, enterprise and innovators. We are responsible for voice services and numbering for approximately 90 million numbers for over 20 UK ISPs, route over 1 million SMS text messages per day and enable over 40 UK MVNO brands. We also own and operate a significant national data network and secure datacentre sites within the UK.
aql is a global company with our heart firmly beating from the centre of Leeds. We’re always looking for talented people to join the team, no matter where they are located.
We want you to be excited about working for a fast paced and ambitious company, one that is truly making a difference. Otherwise, what’s the point?
- Collaboration: Above all, we believe in and succeed through collaboration. It’s at the heart of who we are. We support each other and our customers in order to succeed.
- Innovation: We strive to accelerate progress by taking an imaginative and original approach to all we do.
- Empowerment: We design systems to enable customers to implement technology without the heavy lifting.
- Knowledge: With collaboration comes a sharing of knowledge. We are always learning, growing and evolving in order to continue to deliver the best possible service for our customers. As one of the team, you will have the opportunity to work alongside leading experts in their field, with a wealth of experience to share.
- Trust: We have a culture of transparency, communication and respect, ensuring our relationships with employees, teams and customer partnerships are built on trust and integrity. We embrace change, diversity and the opinions and ideas of others.
- Impact: Not only are we driven to innovate, but we are mindful of doing this in a way which gives back to our planet and environment. From protecting ancient woodland to designing heat-sharing schemes for our datacentres – we believe in ‘tech for good’.
Job role, duties & responsibilities:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be an important part of our growing Development team working on a diverse range of systems, platforms and projects that manage our innovative messaging, telecoms, datacentre, connectivity and “Internet of Things” services.
You will be working on new developments to improve our current portfolio of services, as well as rearchitecting older systems. There is plenty to challenge, and many opportunities to learn.
- Develop testing and implementation of new systems, platforms and services.
- Identify and introduce new technology and methods.
- Ensure all systems and platforms meet the defined aql standards.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and mentoring for less experienced members of the team.
- Be on-hand to fix and advise on any issues that may arise.
- Detect and implement ideas to improve systems and platforms in line with business objectives.
- Clearly and regularly communicate with other parts of the business to keep them updated on new developments.
Candidate requirements & Core Skills:
Our customers trust us with their sensitive data, communication systems and overall network experience.
- 5 years plus software engineering experience.
- Strong ability to solve problems quickly.
- Self-starter, able to work with limited guidance and offer guidance and leadership to others.
- Effective decision making with good judgement.
- Ability to multi-task without loss of efficiency and composure.
- Highly effective communicator and team player.
- Ability to make a positive impact within a strong team.
- Able to pass the UK Government Security Vetting.
- PHP – must be able to use PHP open source scripting language to develop website or web applications.
- Laravel – experience with Laravel web framework.
- Docker – experience of using platform-as-a service tool, Docker
- Agile – ability to move quickly and easily to develop software.
- Unit Testing – high level experience of software testing units/ components.
- REST – REST, or REpresentational State Transfer.
- CI/CD – understanding of the combined practices of continuous integration and either continuous delivery or continuous deployment.
- Remote working
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Historical and inspiring head office in Central Leeds
- Annual travel pass if needed